Losing your website or all your website data can be any webmaster’s worst nightmare. This is especially true, if you do not have any back-up copies of your data. Most of us like to believe that it can never happen to us. Though rare, but it does happen. So, it’s best to be prepared in advance. You may not have a big business website, but just a small website or a personal blog but, it’s still highly important to have an automated backup plan. Bluehost is a great web hosting company that does a lot to protect it’s customers website and data. While other web hosts may do little about it, Blue Host offers several great features, like the Bluehost Backup and Recovery Tool that help you to safeguard your website and data.
One of the ways in which Bluehost protects your information is by performing complimentary automatic backups of your entire account. They take these backups on a monthly, weekly and even daily basis. These backups act as a great safety net for your website, but still Bluehost recommends that you perform your own site data and file backups and store copies of these at a different, safe place away from the Bluehost server in order to achieve 100% complete safety against data loss. You can take advantage of several Bluehost Promo and Discount offers to get huge savings on Bluehost hosting. The best is this Bluehost Coupon that guarantees Bluehost web hosting package at price of just $3.95 a month.
Bluehost hosting comes with both a free and a pro version of Site Backup & Restore tool. With the free version of this tool, you can set up automated backup procedures within Bluehost control panel. Any tasks of site restoration have to be manually done. But the pro version of this tool, gives you the added capability to restore the files, directories etc. and also MySQL databases.
Let’s look at how you can access the system bckups that are created by Bluehost:
- Login to Bluehost Control Panel
- Go to Files section in the control panel and select File Backup & Restore.
- Select which aspect of your website you wish to access. You may choose from Website files or MySQL Databases or Full cPanel backup.
- Choose whether you want to access Daily, Weekly r Monthly backup files.
- In the Download window, select the format you need – TAR archive or ZIP archive, nd pres the Start Archiving button.
Below are the steps to create your own backup in Bluehost control panel. If you use a content management system on your website, like WordPress, Joomla etc, or a blog or e-commerce platform, you should start by taking a backup of yur database, by following these steps.
- Login to Bluehost Control Panel
- Go to Databases section in the control panel and select phpMyAdmin Tool.
- A list of databases will be provided on the left side. Choose the database that you want to backup.
- On the right side, Click on the Export tab.
- Select the Format of backup as SQL and click on Go button.
- Once the download is complete, Save the database backup file to a safe location. It is recommended that you store it at a location different from Bluehost server, like an external tape storage or a cloud storage platform.
To backup your website’s actual content, follow the below instructions.
- When you first signup for Bluehost web hosting, an FTP account is normally created for you. If you’ve forgotten the details, the FTP username and password can be accessed in the FTP accounts section. But if you do not have any FTP account, first create an FTP account in Bluehost Control panel in FTP accounts sub-section under Files section.
- Login to an FTP program of our choice, like FileZilla, by entering the required Bluehost FTP account details.
- Once connected to Bluehost server, download all your website files and folders, and save these to a safe location.
Though the Bluehost automated backups can be a great help, but since they are carried out by the company at their own discretion, these may not be able to always capture the most recent version of your website. Hence, any time that you make changes to your website (whether small or significant), it’s a good idea to take backup of database, files etc., so that it can be restored in the unfortunate event of loss.
If you follow the practice of regularly taking a backup of your files and data, you will save yourself a lot of hassle and attain complete peace of mind.